WHAT PERSONAL BRANDING IS NOT: 17 THINGS PERSONAL BRANDING IS NOT (AND EVERYONE THINKS IT IS)
The idea of “personal branding” has been gaining buzz for you.
The idea that maybe you are more than yourself, that others see you as some sort of superhero, larger than lifethat you are the fulfillment of kid’s dreams everywhere.
And though personal brands do allow you to maximize your strengths, connections, and skill set.
Personal brands are still a BRAND.
A brand, something created to evoke certain emotions, create certain perceptions and viewpoints. In the end, it is a strategy.
Here are 17 things a personal brand is not:
Your raw personality
2. A bullshit, not real personality
3. Pity party
4. “Look at me. Look at me” ego boost
5. How you physically look.
6. How good you take a selfie.
7. Your social media accounts
8. Your website, business cards, or other proofs or professionalism
9. Your unedited thoughts
10. Airing your dirty laundry
11. Unfiltered intimacy (no one needs to see your boobs as you breast feed your kids at home)
12. Your diary
13. Where you share your deepest, darkest secrets
14. A review of your “glory years”
15. A place to sell your latest “wares”
16. A picture show of everything you eat or purchase
17. All about you (ironic isn't it).
A personal brand is about creating relationships that benefit you and “them.” It is about creating those moments so those once in a lifetime encounters can happen. And your dreams can be your reality sooner than later.
That is the power of a killer personal brand.